What is a grouped bar chart?
A grouped bar chart, also known as clustered bar graph, multi-set bar chart, or grouped column chart, is a type of bar graph that is used to represent and compare different categories of two or more groups.
Because the categories are grouped and arranged side-by-side, the bar clusters make easy to interpret the differences inside a group, and even between the same category across groups.
Best uses for the grouped bar chart
- Showing the changes in set categories over time, location or sector
- Comparing financial data–for example sales, costs and revenue–across different groups
- Evaluating the performance of a series of marketing projects in contrast to one another
How to make a grouped bar chart with Vizzlo?
Make a grouped bar chart following these easy steps:
- On the tab “DATA” of the sidebar, click on the button “CATEGORIES” to name them
- Then select a group on the chart to edit it using the active cards on the sidebar
- You can also use Vizzlo’s spreadsheet to enter your data more efficiently. Just copy and paste it from your source
- Finally, try the customization options of the tab “APPEARANCE” to choose your preferences regarding the axes, grid, and colors
Grouped bar chart: pro tips
- If there is a part-to-the whole relationship or if you want to emphasize the comparison among the total sum of the groups, consider creating a stacked bar chart.
- Color coding is essential with this chart, so make sure the shades you use are easily distinct from one another and clearly labelled in the legend
- Long category names often work better with a horizontal bar chart, alternatively, you can click the layout–switch easily with the check box on the “APPEARANCE” tab
- One huge value number can dwarf the rest of the bars, so try using the “Scale break” function to re-balance the visuals (but only use this if absolutely necessary, as it can make your chart appear misleading)
- On the “APPEARANCE” tab, you can select the “Custom group width” checkbox to edit the design of your chart further
Grouped bar chart maker: key features
- Multiple series
- Vertical and horizontal views
- Custom number formats and colors
- Custom group width
- Custom axes and grid
- Optional labeling of individual values
- Adjustable min/max values for y-axis
- Scale break
- Data Viz Guide: What is a bar chart?
Loved by professionals around the world
Visualizations your audience won’t forget
Convey abstract concepts and data with professionally designed
charts and graphics you can easily edit and customize.